Welcome

Just my rambling thoughts about being gay and Mormon

Saturday, January 22, 2011

breast cancer

I have not had much enthusiasm for posting in the last few weeks -- sorry about that.  My courageous best friend, my wife, was diagnosed with a particularly aggressive type of breast cancer during the first week of January.  We've spent a lot of time in doctor's offices and at the hospital having her analyzed, poked, biopsied, and counseled.  Our whole world has been turned upside down, again.  We've been through a lot together, including both of us coming to terms with my gayness.  

I told her that I've always been better in a supporting role than in trying to figure out my own mixed up life - so I can do this (support her) and do it well.  She began chemo last Friday and will continue for probably months.  Since I love hats and love to shop (so gay), I found her some cute ones for when she loses her hair.  I also bought her an ipad for some fun during her long down times.  Today, we bought a new leather sofa so she has something comfortable to lay down on without needing to be in bed.  

In some strange way this has brought us closer together.  She has given up so much for me over the years and probably missed out on a lot of happiness that she deserved because of my weirdness that I need to... and want to... stand by her in this illness and see her safely recovered. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am SO sorry to hear about your wife. I'm touched by your willingness and desire to take such good care of her. Unfortunately it's a terrible thing you're both having to suffer through, but gaining that closeness with each other will be worth it I'm sure. Sending love and blessings your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am terribly sorry about this. While this is a horrible thing that is happening to your wife, this post truly is beautiful. The tender love for your wife is so evident.

    This is (I'm sure) every spouse's nightmare- to discover your spouse has a life-threatening illness. If I were in your shoes, I would be falling apart.

    I will be keeping you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your weirdness, and have been more happy than sad over the past 31 years!

    ReplyDelete