Welcome

Just my rambling thoughts about being gay and Mormon

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I come from a long line of rebels


Some things I learned from doing family history research:

  • I come from a long line of rebels, risk takers, and independent thinkers
  • I come from amazing people who were willing to stand up for what they believed in and go against the conventions of their day
  • They were non conformists and embraced new ideas
  • They moved on and changed when they needed to.  It probably scared the shit out of them just as it does me sometimes to lean into an unknown future and take a leap of faith and hope.
  • They sometimes failed but were not defeated
  • They believed in themselves and in God more than they believed in any organization
  • They are now revered as faithful stalwarts by people who despise rebels and independent thinkers and who don't understand their own history.  These amazing ancestors would not recognize themselves in much of what is thought and said about them today.


No comments:

Post a Comment