Welcome

Just my rambling thoughts about being gay and Mormon

Friday, June 8, 2012

Benji Schwimmer !!

Mormon Stories recently posted an interview with Benji Schwimmer, who won the second season of So You Think You Can Dance in 2006. Mormon Stories does such a fantastic service in providing the stories of a wide variety of Mormon experience. I was particularly touched with Benji's story. It resonated deeply. 


The interview is pretty long - 5.5 hours - but extremely worth the time!

Part 1: His early years, and his LDS mission experience
Part 2: His experiences on So You Think You Can Dance
Part 3: His attempts to come to terms with his sexuality and his LDS faith



My experience and life is very different than Benji's but my feelings and the emotional and spiritual path we both traveled were very similar. I find it fascinating that there is a growing community of gay former Mormons, including me, who feel convinced that they were led away from the Mormon church by God. This part of Benji's story begins at about 1 hour into the 3rd video.






Thank you Benji Schwimmer for being open enough to share your story, and thank you John Dehlin and Mormon Stories. I encourage you to support Mormon Stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment