- Dustin Lance Black is a screenwriter, producer and director, having won the Academy Award® and Writers Guild of America Award for Best Original Screenplay for MILK, the biopic of the late gay civil rights activist Harvey Milk starring Sean Penn
- In 2004, Black signed on to draw on his devout Mormon childhood experiences in San Antonio, Texas as a writer and co-producer on HBO´s Emmy® and Golden Globe® nominated polygamist drama BIG LOVE. He continued to write for the show until the third season wrapped in 2008
- Recently, Black completed his feature directorial debut VIRGINIA starring Jennifer Connelly and Ed Harris and has teamed up with director Clint Eastwood, actor Leonardo DiCaprio and Imagine Entertainment to scribe J.EDGAR, the story of famed FBI director J. Edgar Hoover
- Black is currently writing THE BAREFOOT BANDIT for FOX based on the true story of Colton Harris-Moore, and recently signed on to adapt Jon Krakauer´s acclaimed UNDER THE BANNER OF HEAVEN for Warner Brothers.
- Beyond his film work, Black is also a civil rights activist. He is a founding board member of the American Foundation for Equal Rights (AFER), which is leading the Federal Case against Prop 8 in CA with lawyers David Boise and Ted Olson, and is on the Board of the Trevor Project, an LGBTQ teen suicide hotline providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services for LGBTQ youth.
- Black has had two books published, has written for every major screenwriting magazine, contributes to The Daily Beast and The Huffington Post, topped the list of OUT Magazine´s 40 under 40, and has repeatedly been named one of the 50 most powerful LGBT people in America today by that same publication
This was my first full participation in Pride and I really had fun (although I'm too old to stay up partying until 2 AM with any frequency). We have an amazing, vibrant, caring, and hopeful community. Young gays in Utah are almost certain to have a better chance at a promising and inclusive future than my generation.DLB was kind enough to pose with me for a picture!! I pretty much just intruded on him and asked for the picture. He was very gracious and posed, twice in fact, because the first picture turned out blurry. He even put his arm around me - isn't he sweet. In case you can't tell, he's the cute one and I'm the rainbow smiley face who still needs to keep some level of privacy for my blog.
Thanks DLB for taking time to participate in our Pride Festival, and thanks for letting me get a picture with you!!