Welcome

Just my rambling thoughts about being gay and Mormon

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Oh Boy(d)

For some of us not particularly connected to the Mormon world, it's easy to forget that this is conference weekend. A lovely time in early April when, according to legend, it generally rains in Utah.
I try to keep up with conference by way of blog summaries and news articles (yes for those not in Utah, General Conference is ALWAYS front page news).
Anyway, it caught my eye that Boyd K spoke in the Saturday Morning Session. He was quite true to form. This quote from Elder Boyd K. Packer's talk was listed in numerous sources, 

"Tolerance is a virtue, but, like all virtues, when exaggerated it transforms itself into a vice. We need to be careful of the 'tolerance trap' so that we are not swallowed up in it. The permissiveness afforded by the weakening of the laws of the land to tolerate legalized acts of immorality does not reduce the spiritual consequences that result from the violation of God's law of chastity." 

A not so veiled warning about marriage equality.
Elder Packer is 88, and just about done. I think he knows it and seemed to say as much in his talk. I'll cut the old guy some slack because I have a general respect for anyone who has lived that long. But, I do wish he'd shut the fcuk up. For every very small step the church takes toward equality (ie: first women to pray in conference this session), he sets the church back 2 full steps.

His talk was about what "he knows". Just for reference, he doesn't know me or my life. Also, by the way, I KNOW he's wrong.
There were a number of talks on Saturday that is one way or another essentially said that the church leaders were helpless to change the divinely inspired programs and policies of the church. This always strikes me as a disingenuous excuse. They seem to be able to change just about anything they want, but throw this "divinely directed" smoke screen up when it's something they don't want to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment