Welcome

Just my rambling thoughts about being gay and Mormon

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Reason #XXX to Love the Book of Mormon Musical

I love many things about the Book of Mormon Musical. The music is great. It deadeye's the cultural realities of the church in many respects. But, I just learned another great reason to love it. It's a perfect way for a gay Mormon from Utah to break the ice! See my review of the BOM Musical HERE
I recently traveled to a distant metropolis and spent a few nights gay bar hopping. It was great fun and I met some cool guys. Almost any conversation starts with your name and where you're from (those that don't are usually headed a very different direction). 
As soon and I said, "I'm from Utah", the next question was "Are you Mormon?, or a statement of "I loved the Book of Mormon" (meaning the musical, not the book). 
This inevitably led to me talking about my background and beliefs. These conversations were a lot easier than when I did the same thing as a missionary! Unlike when I was a missionary, I didn't find anyone who hated the Mormons - just a lot of guys who wanted religion in general to leave them alone. 
I was amazed at how many guys, when confronted with a real live gay Mormon, wanted to know if what they had heard or read about the church was true. I had great fun telling some of the weirder stories of my life.
It's unfortunate that the Mormon church has spent so much time and money in media communications (and failed) to try and appear "normal" instead of celebrating our differences. Gay guys know what it's like to be treated as abnormal and many have a real interest in the peculiarities of Mormonism, which most don't view as peculiar at all, just different.
Everyone has a spiritual side of some sort and most gay men have a deep connection between their gay persona and their spirituality. For this reason, they feel deeply offended by religious intolerance that treats them as evil or somehow abnormal. I'm definitely in that group!




No comments:

Post a Comment